Dr. Weisong Wen is a Research Assistant Professor at the the Department of Aeronautical and Aviation Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. He was the Associate Director of Intelligent Positioning and Navigation Lab-IPNL which is led by Dr. Li-ta Hsu (He is also my Lifelong Mentor). This page is part of the IPNL and provide the latest update of the regular news.
Dr. Wen received a BEng degree in Mechanical Engineering from Beijing Information Science and Technology University (BISTU), Beijing, China, in 2015, and an MEng degree in Mechanical Engineering from the China Agricultural University, in 2017. After that, he received a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) supervised by Dr. Li-ta Hsu, in 2020. He was also a visiting PhD student with the Faculty of Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley) in 2018, supervised by Dr. Zhan and Prof. Tomizuka. Before joining PolyU as a Research Assistant Professor, he was a senior research fellow at AAE of PolyU. He has published 24 SCI papers and 20 conference papers in the field of GNSS (ION GNSS+) and navigation for Robotic systems (IEEE ICRA, IEEE ITSC), such as autonomous driving vehicles. He won the Innovation Award from TechConnect 2021, the Best Presentation Award from the Institute of Navigation (ION) in 2020, and the First Prize in Hong Kong Section in Qianhai-Guangdong-Macao Youth Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition in 2019 based on his research achievements in 3D LiDAR aided GNSS positioning for robotics navigation in urban canyons. The developed 3D LiDAR-aided GNSS positioning method has been reported by top magazines such as Inside GNSS and has attracted industry recognition with remarkable knowledge transfer. His mission and dedication are to investigate reliable methods to improve the GNSS positioning in urban canyons, which is of great importance for reliable robotic navigation.
Area of Specializations
- GNSS, GNSS-RTK, GNSS NLOS/Multipath mitigation in urban canyons
- LiDAR-aided GNSS positioning, perception aided GNSS positioning
- LiDAR SLAM in challenging dynamic scenes
- Navigation, Autonomous Driving, Robotics
We have multiple openings for Postdoc/PhD/Mphil/RA/Intern (All-year-round) to work on research projects related to navigation, robotics and autonomous systems in general. If you are a PolyU student (Undergraduate and MSc students seeking URIS or dissertation supervision) interested in working with me, feel free to drop me an email or walk in my office in PQ408! I am delivering the undergraduate class, AAE4203-Guidance and Navigation, and you are welcome to drop in the class to have a taste (Y302, 12:30PM~15:30PM, Thur every week).
Postdoc/RA positions (Immediately available): Navigation for legged robotics, autonomous boats, unmanned aerial vehicles, semantic aided positioning, map update and qualification, hardware-software co-design for next generation navigation chips, urban GNSS positioning, GNSS RTK, PPP, PPP-RTK, collaborative positioning. For those interested, please send us you CV, representative publications list and research statements.
PhD/Mphil topics: Safety-certifible navigation, visual semantic aided positioning, urban GNSS positioning, GNSS RTK, PPP, PPP-RTK, collaborative positioning. For those interested, please send us you CV, representative publications list and research statements!
Latest News [Month/Day/Year]
[02/04/2023] I am glad to announce the news of the collaboration project with Meituan on topic “Vision Aided GNSS-RTK Positioning for UAV System in Urban Canyons”. Thank you very much for the promotion news from PolyU RIO Website, PolyU AAE Website.
[02/04/2023] I am glad to be invited to give a talk on the “Research on 3D LiDAR Aided (3DLA) Urban GNSS Positioning for Robotics Navigation”. The venue is 香港科学园17W5楼510-519，香港物流机械人研究中心会议室 at 1:00pm - 2:00pm(GMT+8), 13 Feb 2023. Thank you very much for the invitation from Prof. Liu Yunhui and Prof. Chen Fei.
[02/04/2023] We are glad to invite Prof. Tan Ping to give a talk on the “Towards Dense Visual SLAM with Deep Neural Networks”. Prof. Tan is a coming Professor at HKUST and is an expert in visual SLAM and Deep Learning. The venue is N001 at 16:00 - 17:00, 09 Feb 2023.
[12/28/2022] I was glad to be invited to be the Editorial Board Member of Information journal in the Artificial Intelligence Section. Looking forward to making contribution to the journal.
- [12/20/2022] Our paper for the UrbanNav dataset is accepted in NAVIGATION: Journal of the Institute of Navigation. Looking forward to the impact of the UrbanNav dataset!
- Hsu, L.T., and Wen, W., etc, 2022. Hong Kong UrbanNav: An Open-Sourced Multisensory Dataset for Benchmarking Urban Navigation Algorithms, NAVIGATION: Journal of the Institute of Navigation. [Accepted]
[12/16/2022] It is pretty cool to join the Symposium on innovative Robotics Technologies and Applications. The rundown can be found by Link. It is super glad to listen to the presentations (partial) from Prof. Mark Mueller, Prof. Masayoshi Tomizuka, Prof. Wei Hsin Liao, Prof. Qi Dou, Prof. Fei Chen, and Prof. Chun Chen. Thank you very much for the organization from Hong Kong Center for Logistics and Robotics.
[12/15/2022] Welcome our new porject assistant Peiwen Yang! He is going to work as a project assistant in the coming 6 months on the unamnned autonomous systems!
[12/13/2022] Invited by Prof. steffen schön. We visit the research team at Leibniz Universität Hannover during 4th Dec 2022 to 10th Dec 2022. Thank you very much for the invitation from Dr. Hsu and Dr. Zhang as well! I learned a lot from the visiting! More details can be found in Link.
- [11/30/2022] Three conference papers are accepted for the IEEE/ION PLANS 2023 Conference, taking place April 24-27, 2023, at the Hyatt Regency Monterey, in Monterey, California. Congratulations to Jiachen, Xiaxiao and Pengao！
- Extending Navigation Service under Sensor Failures: An Approach by Integrating SystemIdentification and Vehicle Dynamic Model, Penggao Yan,Li-Ta Hsu,WeisongWen, Dept. of Aeronautical and Aviation Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Integrity-constrained Factor Graph Optimization for GNSS Positioning, Xiao Xia,WeisongWen,Li-Ta Hsu; Department of Aeronautical and Aviation Engineering, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- LiDAR Feature OutlierMitigation Aided by Graduated Non-Convexity Relaxation for Safety-Critical Localization in Urban Canyons, Zhang Jiachen,WeisongWen,Li-Ta Hsu, Department of Aeronautical and Aviation Engineering, the Hong Kong Polytechnic University
[11/30/2022] We invited Prof. Wen Li from Beihang University to give a talk to PolyU AAE on topic “Aerial-Aquatic Robots Capable of Crossing the Air-Water Boundary and Hitchhiking on Surfaces” at 16:00 - 17:00, 30 Nov 2022. Thank you very much for the excellent presentation from Prof. Wen. The post of the presentation can be found by link.
[11/30/2022] We are happy to be invited to join the “美团机器人研究院启动暨学术研讨会” and share our insights about the UAV systems in complex scenarios.
[11/24/2022] I am very happy to be a member of the Research Institute for Land and Space. Thank you very much for the recommendation from Dr. Hsu. Looking forward to making contributions to the institute!
[11/21/2022] I am very happy to be a member of the Research Centre on Data Sciences & Artificial Intelligence. Today, I also give a presentation entitled “Unmanned Autonomous System (UAS) in Complex Areas: Positioning and System Development” with Dr. Hsu.
[11/18/2022] We are happy and feel very honoured to announce that we received an Meituan Research Award for our proposal “Vision Aided GNSS-RTK Positioning for UAV System in Urban Canyons”. Wish we can introduce our navigation technologies to UAV systems!
[11/13/2022] We give a talk to Harbin Engineering University in virtually. The title of the presentation is “3D LiDAR Aided High Accuracy GNSS Positioning in Urban Canyons”. Thank you very much for the invitation from Prof. Yulong Huang. More details about the presentation can be found in News.
[11/04/2022] We have a very insightful online meeting with the navigation team from SAIC（中国上汽集团）on data collaboration. Looking forward to making impact to the autonomous driving industry using our navigation research! (AM, 04 Nov 2022 at PolyU).
[11/03/2022] Welcome our new porject assistant Hüseyin Duran! He is going to work as a project assistant in the coming 6 months.
[10/24/2022] Our paper titled “Integration of Vehicle Dynamic Model and System Identified Model for Navigation in Autonomous Mobile Robots” have been accepted for the ION ITM 2023 conference, taking place January 23-26, 2023 in Long Beach, California, U.S. Congratulations to PengGao!
[10/29/2022] We demonstrate our autonomous driving technology to the students from a high school of Hong Kong. The detials can be found in news.
[10/28/2022] The research team from Hong Kong ASTRI visit us and have a very insightful discussion on collaboration to make impact to Hong Kong. We wish to built collaboration in V2X to enable the intelligent vehicles in complex scenarios. The detials can be found in news.
[10/08/2022] We are organizing a workshop session in IEEE ITSC 2022 with topic “Intelligent Vehicle Meets Urban: Safe And Certifiable Navigation And Control For Intelligent Vehicles In Complex Urban Scenarios” from at 09:00 - 12:00, 08 Oct 2022. More details can be found in our Workshop Website. We proundly invited the speakers including Prof. Guoquan Huang, Prof. Cheng-Zhong Xu, Dr. David M. Rosen, Prof Ming Liu, Prof. Markus Ryll and Dr. Li-Ta Hsu. The tencent meeting link is Tencent Meeting Link, Meeting ID is 265-418-897. See details at News.
[10/14/2022] We invited Dr. Hendrik Kolvenbach from autonomous system lab of ETHZ to give a talk to PolyU AAE on topic “Quadrupedal Robots for Planetary Exploration” at 15:00 - 16:00, 14 Oct 2022. The ZOOM link can be found here.
- [09/27/2022] We invited Wei Xijia from UCL to give a talk to PolyU AAE on topic “From Single Modality to Modality Fusion, The First Step Towards Robust Multisensory Based Localisation Powered by AI” at 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm of 27 Sep 2022 (Tue). ZOOM information (Meeting ID: 976 5053 2247 Passcode: 491169). Big thanks to Xijia
- [09/03/2022] We are invited to give a tutorial in IPIN 2022 with topic “Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) Technologies for Indoor Positioning: Development and Challenges”.
- [08/23/2022] 23th Aug 2022, 1 paper get accepted in IET Intelligent Transportation Systems below:
- Zhong, Y., Huang, F., Zhang, J., Wen, W. * and Hsu, L.T., 2021. Low-cost Solid-state LiDAR/Inertial Based Localization with Prior Map for Autonomous Systems in Urban Scenarios. IET Intelligent Transport Systems.
- [08/01/2022] Aug 2022, 1 paper on LiDAR SLAM get accepted in NAVIGATION: Journal of the Institute of Navigation
- Wen, W., & Hsu, L. T. (2022). AGPC-SLAM: Absolute Ground Plane Constrained 3D Lidar SLAM. NAVIGATION: Journal of the Institute of Navigation, 69(3).
- [06/08/2022] Jun 2022, 2 conference papers are accepted in IEEE ITSC 2022 including:
- Huang, F., Wen, W*., Ng, H., Hsu, L.T. (2022, October). LiDAR Aided Cycle Slip Detection for GNSS Real-Time Kinematic Positioning in Urban Environments, IEEE ITSC 2022. In 2022 IEEE 25th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC). IEEE. [Accepted]
- Bai, X., Wen, W., Zhang, G., Ng, H., Hsu, L.T*. (2022, October). GNSS Outliers Mitigation in Urban Areas Using Sparse Estimation Based on Factor Graph Optimization, IEEE ITSC 2022. In 2022 IEEE 25th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC). IEEE. [Accepted]
[06/30/2022] We invited Dr. Shreyas Kousik to give a talk to PolyU AAE on topic “The Right Stuff: Representing Safety for Widespread Autonomy” at 30 Jun 2022. Many thanks to Shreyas.
- [04/23/2022] 23th April 2022, 1 paper get accepted in IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- Wen, W., & Hsu, L. T. (2022). 3D LiDAR aided GNSS NLOS mitigation in urban canyons. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems.
- [04/08/2022] April 2022, 3 papers accepted in ION GNSS+ 2022!
- Wen, W. and Hsu, L.T., 2022, September. Factor Graph Optimization for Tightly-coupled GNSS Pseudorange/Doppler/Carrier phase/INS Integration: Performance In Urban Canyons of Hong Kong. In Proceedings of the 35th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation (ION GNSS+ 2022). [Accepted]
- Zhong, Y., Wen, W*., Ng, H., Bai, X., and Hsu, L.T. 2022, September. Real-time Factor Graph Optimization Aided by Graduated Non-convexity Based Outlier Mitigation for Smartphone Decimeter Challenge. In Proceedings of the 35th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation (ION GNSS+ 2022). [Accepted]
- Liu, X., Wen, W*., and Hsu, L.T. 2022, September. 3D LiDAR Aided GNSS Real-time Kinematic Positioning via Coarse-to-fine Batch Optimization for High Accuracy Mapping in Dense Urban Canyons. In Proceedings of the 35th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of The Institute of Navigation (ION GNSS+ 2022). [Accepted]
- [12/10/2021] We invited Dr. David Rosen to give a talk to PolyU AAE on topic “Certifiably Correct Machine Perception” at 10 Dec 2021. Many thanks to David.
- [13/04/2021] 13th, April 2021, 5 papers accepted in ION GNSS+ 2021!
- Weisong Wen and Li-Ta Hsu, 3D LiDAR Aided GNSS Real-time Kinematic Positioning, ION GNSS+ 2021, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- Weisong Wen and Li-Ta Hsu, Integrity Monitoring for GNSS Positioning Via Factor Graph Optimization In Urban Canyons, ION GNSS+ 2021, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- Jiachen Zhang, Weisong Wen, Feng Huang and Li-Ta Hsu, Continuous GNSS-RTK Positioning Aided by LiDAR/Inertial Odometry with Intelligent GNSS Selection in Urban Canyons, ION GNSS+ 2021, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- Feng Huang, Donghui Shen, Weisong Wen, Jiachen Zhang, and Li-Ta Hsu, Improving LIDAR-Based SLAM with Dynamic Object Removal in Dense Urban Areas, ION GNSS+ 2021, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- Hoi-fung Ng, Guohao Zhang, Weisong Wen, and Li-Ta Hsu, 3D Mapping Aided GNSS Using Factor Graph Optimization: An example on GNSS shadow matching, ION GNSS+ 2021, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
[04/12/2022] On 12th, April 2021, I am working as a Research Assistant Professor at Hong Kong Polytechnic University!
[03/24/2022] 24th, March 2021, 1 paper was accepted in ICRA 2021!
- [01/04/2022] 4th, Jan 2021, I am working as a Senior Research Fellow at Hong Kong Polytechnic University!
- [10/27/2020] Oct 27, 2020, I finish the Ph.D. thesis defense! The board of examiners includes Prof. Kubo, Prof. Huiyun Li, and Prof. Choy. Thanks to all the people who help me!
- [10/13/2019] Oct 13, 2019, Tim Pfeifer join our lab as a visiting student researcher.
- [11/09/2018] Nov 9, 2018, Take part in the 2018 Bay Area Robotics Symposium at Standford University aims to bring together roboticists from the Bay Area. The program will consist of a mix of faculty, student, and industry presentations.
-[11/09/2018] Nov 9, 2018, Give a talk in Deepmap.ai with Mark Wheeler and Lionel Garin The topic is “Localization for Autonomous Vehicles in Dense Urban”. Mark Wheeler is previously work in Google Maps for about 8 years. Lionel Garin is a GNSS WORLDWIDE RECOGNIZED EXPER.
[12/02/2018] Dec 2, 2018, Give a presentation on the 8th East Asia Mechanical Aerospace Engineering Workshop with Dr. Peng and Ankit Ravankar. The topic is “Multi-sensor Integration-based Localization for Autonomous Vehicle in Urbanized Area”.
[12/07/2018] Dec 7, 2018, Give a talk at the Shenzhen Institutes of Advanced Technology Chinese Academic of Sciences with Prof.Huiyun Li. The topic is “Multi-sensor Integration-based Localization for Autonomous Vehicle in Urbanized Area”.
[08/28/2018] Aug 28, 2018, Have a Remote talk with the team in Tencent. The topic is multi-sensor fusion for autonomous driving.
[08/27/2018] Aug 27, 2018, Have a Remote talk with the team at Nagoya University with Yuki Kitsukawa. He is the CEO of Map IV. The topic is mapping and localization for autonomous driving.
[08/17/2018] Aug 17, 2018, visit the autonomous driving team in Jingchi in the U.S.
[08/16/2018] Aug 16, 2018, I give a talk in Baidu. inc in the USA. The topic is GNSS positioning aided by LiDAR and building models.
[07/18/2018] On Jul 18, 2018, I visit the MSC Lab at the University of California, Berkeley. Do research on multi-sensor fusion aided by perception.